A colorful and flavorful summer chowder with garlic, smoked sausage, parmesan cheese, corn, potatoes, green beans and carrots. Your whole family will love this soup!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound mini colorful potatoes (see note)
- 1 (12 oz) package of smoked sausage, sliced thinly (I used smoked chicken sausage)
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 oz baby carrots (or you can cut 3–4 large carrots)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can green beans, drained
- 2/3 cup half and half (you can also use milk or cream)
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Add broth, potatoes, sausage, celery, onion, carrots, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, pepper, salt and corn to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Stir in the green beans. In a small bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until very smooth. Stir a few tablespoons of hot soup into the mixture. This will help prevent curdling. Then add the mixture into the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker to high. In a few minutes your soup will thicken a bit.
- Add in the parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chowder and enjoy!
Potatoes: I found a bag of mini colorful potatoes at Walmart. They were in a mesh bag that had red, purple and yellow potatoes. If you can’t find these potatoes then just use a pound of red potatoes and cut them into chunks. I like the color that the potatoes add to the chowder.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker