Creamy mild curry-flavored rice with chunks of tender chicken, florets of broccoli and lots of cheddar. A family favorite casserole recipe perfect for any weeknight.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a microwave safe dish, stir together the onion, butter, rice and 1/2 cup broth.
- Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
- Transfer to a greased slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of broth and the garlic powder, salt and curry powder. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours. (mine took exactly 3 hours…yours may take more or less depending on your slow cooker)
- Pour broccoli into a colander and run hot water over it until it is heated through. Shake off excess water. Stir in the broccoli. Stir and break up chicken with a spoon. Stir in the sour cream and cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately (this tastes best served right away, it doesn’t hold up very well on the warm setting).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 859 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Protein: 53 g