An easy and healthy meal of seasoned brown rice with carrots, peas and chicken sausage.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup brown rice (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (12 oz) package chicken sausage links (see note)
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (optional)
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add in the butter and let it melt. Stir in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and stir for another minute. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth to the hot pan and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil pour it into the slow cooker.
- Add in the salt, turmeric, garlic powder. Lay the sausage links on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to place chicken sausage on a cutting board. Stir the frozen veggies into the slow cooker. Replace the lid and let the heat of the pot cook of the veggies for about 5 minutes. Slice up the sausage into quarter inch pieces and stir them into the rice.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
I bought the spinach gruyere chicken sausage at Smith’s (Kroger) and I thought it was so tasty. There are lots of other brands and flavors that you can find at other stores too.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 954 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 22 g