If you’re familiar with porcupine meatballs (meatballs with rice inside) you’ll recognize that porcupines in a skillet is an easier but just as tasty dinner! This version is made in the Instant Pot which makes it super fast!
For the meat:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice or brown rice (uncooked)
For the sauce:
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease, drain. Stir in the Worcestershire, 1 tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder to coat the meat.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Sprinkle in the rice, don’t stir.
- Dump in the crushed tomatoes, butter, onion powder, garlic powder and ⅛ tsp kosher salt on top and don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes for white rice or 22 minutes for brown rice. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Scoop onto plates and serve. Top with a little mozzarella or cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot