Pot roast, potatoes, carrots and gravy just like Mom used to make. An easy recipe that tastes like home.
For the roast:
- 2 tsp canola, vegetable or olive oil
- 3 ½ pounds beef chuck roast, cross rib roast or rump roast
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or 4 tsp beef bouillon)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ pounds Russet, yellow or red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ pounds peeled carrots, cut into chunks or baby carrots
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Cut off excess fat and the silver skin from the roast. Some roasts have more fat than others. I always try to pick the roast with less chunks of fat and more marbling.
- (This step is optional but will help the roast be a lot more flavorful) Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Salt and pepper the roast on all sides liberally. Add oil into the pan. Add in the roast and brown it on each side for about 5 minutes. Remove the roast and place it in the slow cooker.
- Add in the water and Better than Bouillon. Add in the roast. Season it with the onion powder, parsley, celery seed, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Remove the lid and add in the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 more hours.
- Scoop the potatoes, carrots and roast onto a platter and let rest. While the meat is resting make a gravy. Turn the slow cooker to high or the stovetop setting. In a small bowl whisk the melted butter and flour together until completely smooth. Stir a cup of the liquid from the slow cooker into the butter and flour. Whisk until smooth and then stir the whole mixture into the slow cooker. Whisk. The gravy will thicken in a few minutes. Salt and pepper the gravy to taste.
- Slice or shred the roast. Serve the roast, potatoes and carrots with gravy over the top.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American