An open faced turkey sandwich on Texas toast drizzled with a Romano cheese sauce and topped with crispy bacon.
For the turkey:
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (3 pound) frozen boneless turkey breast roast (I used Butterball)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
For the Mornay sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
For the sandwich:
- 12 slices of frozen Texas toast, prepared according to package directions
- 12 slices of crispy bacon
- 3 roma tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes)
- Prepare your turkey: Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the Instant Pot. In a small bowl stir together the sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Place frozen turkey breast under warm water for 3 minutes to loosen the gravy packet from the turkey. Set aside the gravy packet. Rub the frozen turkey breast with olive oil. Then rub the spice mixture all over the turkey breast. Place the turkey into your Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
- Cook your turkey: Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 50 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes then open the pot. Check the temperature the turkey should be close to 155 or 160 degrees F. Set the turkey on a platter or cutting board and loosely tent with foil for 10 minute. Check temperature of the turkey it should be up to 165 degrees F. Use a serrated knife to thinly slice your turkey.
- Prepare your Mornay sauce: Heat a sauce pan over medium-low heat on your stove (or you can use the saute function on your Instant Pot that has been cleaned out since cooking the turkey). Add in the butter and let it melt. Then slowly whisk in the flour until it forms a roux (thick paste). Cook the roux for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk the half and half into the roux and cook over medium heat until the sauce begins to simmer (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the Romano cheese until the sauce is smooth. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble and heat the sandwiches: For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast in an oven safe dish – one slice is cut in half corner to corner to make two triangles and the other slice is left in a square shape – then cover with several slices of turkey. Quarter each Roma tomato and take 2 quarters and set them alongside the base of the turkey and toast. Next, pour about ¼ to ⅓ cup of the Mornay sauce over the dish. Sprinkle with additional Romano cheese. Place the entire dish in the oven. Suggested bake time is 10-15 minutes at 350º F. When the cheese begins to brown and bubble, remove from oven, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Turkey
- Method: Instant Pot