A one pot meal with a western flare! Rice, fire roasted tomatoes, beef, chili beans and olives come together quickly for a perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 ¼–½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice or brown rice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (16 oz) can Bush’s Best Chili Beans (I used mild)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- ¾ cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Toppings: fritos, sour cream, diced avocado
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in the salt, garlic powder, chili powder. Then pour in beef broth (1.5 cups for white rice or 1.25 cups for brown rice) and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the rice, do not stir it in. Dump tomatoes, green chiles, chili beans and tomato sauce on top (do not stir).
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes for white rice and 22 minutes for brown rice. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Stir in the green pepper. Sprinkle the top with olives and cheese. Scoop onto plates and serve with desired toppings.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
If you’d rather have softer green bell peppers you can sauté them before adding them in. I didn’t pressure cook them because they get way too mushy.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot