Instant Pot Tuscan Tortellini Soup is a creamy tomato based soup with white beans, tortellini, spinach and tender bites of chicken. Take one bite of this soup and you’ll quickly agree that this soup rocks the house.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water + 4 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz can) great northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were frozen)
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 18 ounce refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around until the butter is melted. Add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes (for frozen chicken) or 8 minutes (for thawed chicken). When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes (display will read 0:05) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf. Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir in the half and half, tortellini and parmesan cheese. The tortellini will take about 5 minutes to cook through.
- While the tortellini is cooking shred the chicken* or cut it into pieces. Add it back into the pot.
- Stir the spinach into the pot, it will wilt down quickly.
- Taste the soup and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Tortellini: I used refrigerated, fresh cheese tortellini. I believe you could have great results with frozen tortellini as well. Personally I don’t like dry tortellini so I would not use that.
Broth/Bouillon: I used 4 cups of water and 4 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base*. You can also use 4 cups of chicken broth. It’s up to you. You should always taste the soup before serving and season to taste with salt and pepper. I didn’t add any extra salt to my soup. It had plenty of flavor from the chicken base.
Crushed Tomatoes: I love crushed tomatoes for this soup! They add the consistency and flavor that it needs. Don’t settle for diced tomatoes. Use crushed!!!
Half and Half: I used half and half for the dairy. You can also use a heavy cream or evaporated milk. If you want a thinner, less calorious (totally made up that word) soup then you can also use regular milk. If you are dairy adverse you could leave it out all together or you may want to try a dairy free alternative. Although I’m not sure how that would affect the flavor profile.
Parmesan: I used shredded parmesan cheese from Costco. You can use the stuff from the green can if you are in a pinch.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1.25 cups of soup (approx)
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 968 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Protein: 27 g