This soup needs to make its place on your menu this week. My husband said “this is maybe the best soup I’ve ever had!” It’s slightly creamy (but doesn’t go overboard with dairy) and has amazing flavor thanks to the chicken sausage. It also has a nice pop of color from the chopped spinach. This soup can be made in minutes with your electric pressure cooker.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken sausage (or you can use ground pork sausage)
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water and 6 tsp Better than Bouillon* chicken base)
- 8 ounces sliced or quartered mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce package) frozen or fresh tortellini
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces coarsely chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream, warm
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting and adjust to “more.” Add in the oil. Let the pot heat up for a couple of minutes. Add in the chicken sausage and brown for about 5 minutes. Add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add in the thyme.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Add in the mushrooms and then add in the tortellini.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 0 minutes (zero). It should be on high pressure.
- While the pot is coming to pressure chop your spinach and warm up your dairy (I just stuck mine in the microwave for 30 seconds).
- Once the pot comes to pressure your timer will beep. Do nothing at this point and just let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, move the valve to venting. Once you can, remove the lid.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, spinach and half and half. Turn the pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and water. Then stir the cornstarch slurry into the pot. It will thicken the soup just a bit. Once soup is thickened turn off the saute function and turn the pot to the keep warm function. Salt and pepper the soup to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot