Texas Caviar is a colorful tortilla chip dip that has black eyed peas, tomatoes, peppers, corn, red onion and a zesty dressing. This stuff is addicting so make sure you have enough chips on hand!
- 1 pound dried black eyed peas (see note for canned)
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 bell peppers (your choice of color), seeded and diced
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of corn, drained
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- ⅔ cup zesty Italian dressing (or you can make your own, refer to text above)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste (I used almost a teaspoon of salt)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Soak: Soak your black eyed peas for 8-12 hours in a large bowl with lots of water and 1 Tbsp of salt (see note). Rinse and drain the peas. Add them to the Instant Pot or slow cooker. Add in 6 cups of water.
- Cook: For the Instant Pot cover the pot and lock the lid into place, set the valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 13 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. For the Slow Cooker cover the crock and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until peas are tender.
- Drain: Drain and rinse the black eyed peas in a colander. Place the peas in a large bowl and let them chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Chop and combine: Prepare all other ingredients. Toss them all together with the black eyed peas. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Serve dip with tortilla chips, you can also eat it plain like a salad.
If you’d rather use canned black eyed peas instead of dried you totally can. Rinse and drain four cans of peas and then add all the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Some versions of Texas caviar have 3 cans of black eyed peas and 1 can of black beans.
I soaked my peas overnight. Alternately you can cook without soaking. Make sure there is plenty of water covering the peas and use a 20 minute pressure cooking time with a natural pressure release.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1. Keep the recipe the same if using an 8 quart pot. For a 3 quart pot, halve the recipe and keep the same cooking time.
This makes a huge batch! You can easily halve the recipe. Keep the same cooking time and halve all the ingredients.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker