Flavorful mashed lentils are scooped into tacos shells and topped with all your favorite toppings. A meatless way to enjoy tacos!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup salsa
- For serving the tacos–12 taco shells, 1 ½ cups shredded lettuce, 1 cup chopped tomato, ¾ cup shredded cheddar, 12 Tbsp sour cream
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion. Saute for about 4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Turn off the saute setting. Sprinkle in the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Mash the lentils lightly and stir in the salsa.
- Spoon about ¼ cup into each taco shell and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream.
To make in the slow cooker: Saute the onion in the oil over medium heat in a pan on the stove for about 4 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add mixture to slow cooker. Add broth, lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until lentils are tender. Remove the lid. Mash the lentils lightly and stir in the salsa. Spoon about ¼ cup into each taco shell and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use the same recipe for an 8 quart or a 3 quart pot.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker