A savory sauce with loads of flavor and tender bites of beef and mushrooms. Make in the Instant Pot, slow cooker or the oven!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 pound beef stew meat, patted dry
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add in the oil and swirl around. Add in the beef stew meat in one layer and let brown (about 3-4 minutes) and then turn over to other side and brown.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper and flour and stir.
- Add in the diced onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire, vinegar and mushrooms and toss well until onion is soft (about 3 minutes). Turn off heat.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the beef broth and bring it to a boil. Once broth is boiling add in the meat mixture but don’t stir. Turn off sauté setting.
- Immediately cover Instant Pot and lock lid into place. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes.
- When time is up let pot sit for 15 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir the cornstarch and heavy cream/milk together until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to saute and add the mixture into the pot. The sauce will thicken quickly.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve beef, mushrooms and sauce over mashed potatoes, buttered egg noodles or rice.
To make in the slow cooker: complete steps 1-3 above and then transfer mixture to a slow cooker and stir in 2 ½ cups of broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir the cornstarch and heavy cream/milk together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker and cook on high without the lid for about 10-15 minutes until thickened.
To make in the oven: complete steps 1-3 on the stove top in a dutch oven. Stir in 2 ½ cups broth and deglaze. Cover and cook in the oven at 300° F for 2 hours. Stir in cream and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart Instant Pot.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker