A super fast and easy recipe for rice with ground beef, tomatoes, green peppers and spices. Serve as dinner or as a hearty side dish.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 medium green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained (see note)
- 1 cup uncooked parboiled/converted rice (see note)
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease drain it off. Pour in the water and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add in the green pepper, tomatoes, rice, chili powder, oregano, salt, red pepper and garlic powder. Give a quick stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.
Stewed tomatoes can be replaced with diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes.
What is parboiled rice? Don’t confuse parboiled rice with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice.
I haven’t tried this recipe with other types of rice yet but I’m sure you could with great results. Use the green chart above to determine how many minutes to cook as well as the water to rice ratio.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in your 8 quart pot or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot