A Southern twist on shepherd’s pie. The beef filling is flavored with Worcestershire, tomato sauce and green peppers which gives it the flavor of southern meatloaf. Creamy buttermilk and chive mashed potato topping puts this dish over the edge.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or half and half
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup diced chives
- 1 egg yolk
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Stir in the ½ tsp kosher salt.
- Stir in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Stir in the celery, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
- Add potatoes to a steamer basket*. Lower the steamer basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Stir tomato sauce, tomato paste and breadcrumbs into the pot with the meat.
- Pour the potatoes into a medium bowl. Mash well. Stir in the buttermilk, butter, ½ tsp kosher salt, chives and egg yolk.
- Spread the potatoes over the top of the meat mixture. Use an air fryer lid to cook the casserole for 10 minutes at 350° F. If you don’t have an air fryer lid then pour the beef mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish and spread potatoes over the top. Bake in the oven at 350° F for 20 minutes. Scoop up and serve.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid