Dried black eyed peas and brown rice are cooked together in your Instant Pot with celery, green onions, green bell peppers and seasonings. Crispy crumbled bacon is stirred into the cooked peas and rice. A healthy and delicious meal to eat for good luck in the new year!
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas (rinsed)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to move the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add peppers, celery and onions into Instant Pot and saute. Scrape the bottom of the pot as you go to release any sticking bits of bacon. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and scrape any remaining bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the black eyed peas, rice, salt, cayenne, basil, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and bay leaf.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Season to taste. Add the bacon into the pot and stir. Serve and enjoy!
See blog post for substitution ideas and info on how to cook different types of rice and canned black eyed peas.
- Method: Instant Pot