Soft pretzels are easier to make than you think! Use your Instant Pot to speed up the proofing process and to boil the pretzels. These taste as good as Pretzel Maker or Auntie Anne’s! Serve with nacho cheese sauce or a cinnamon cream cheese sauce to bring the pretzels to a whole new level.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry or instant yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil, divided
- ⅔ cup baking soda (yes it’s actually ⅔ cup!)
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl mix the water, salt and sugar. Add yeast and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam (if using active dry yeast, if using instant yeast you don’t need to let rest).
- Add flour and 2 Tbsp oil and mix with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil into Instant Pot liner and swirl around. Place the dough into the Instant Pot liner. Cover Instant Pot with a glass lid or a plate and set the YOGURT button to LESS. Click adjust until it says less and the time should read 24 hours on the display. After 30 minutes remove the dough from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Fill Instant Pot with about 8 cups of water and add in the baking soda. Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting (“more”).
- Heat oven to 450° F.
- While the water is heating up cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into thin ropes. With the dough length, form a U-shape. Then, cross the ends of the U. Cross the ends over each other again, with an end in each hand. With an end in each hand, flip the ends down to the curve of the U-shape. The ends should overlap the dough just a little bit. To set the pretzel shape, press down where the ends of the dough cross.
- Drop a pretzel into the (now boiling) water for 30 seconds. The baking soda solution gives pretzels their signature brown color. Don’t leave in the water for longer than that or the pretzels will develop a metallic taste. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pretzel and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Use a pastry brush to brush each of the pretzels with the beaten egg.
- If desired, sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with mustard, nacho cheese sauce or cinnamon cream cheese dipping sauce (recipe below).
For cinnamon cream cheese dipping sauce:
For a sweet treat don’t sprinkle the pretzels with salt. Then make this cinnamon cream cheese dipping sauce to go with your pretzels.
- 4 oz cream cheese , softened
- 2 Tbsp butter , softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and mix until combined. Add milk and whip until fluffy, about 2 minutes longer. Store leftovers in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven