Andouille sausage is served alongside a creamy pot of cajun-style beans that are cooked quickly in your pressure cooker or simmered all day in the slow cooker. You only need 3 ingredients to make this flavorful dinner.
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup
- 8 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
For cooking the beans:
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 the seasoning packet that comes with the beans
After the beans have cooked:
- rest of the seasoning packet
- 1 or 2 (8 oz) cans of tomato sauce
- 1 (12 oz) package of cajun style andouille smoked sausage, cut into quarter inch rounds
- Salt to taste
- Soak the beans at least 8 hours overnight with the 8 cups of water and the tablespoon of salt. If you forget to do this step you can do the “quick soak method” outlined below in the notes.
- Drain and rinse the beans in a colander. Add the rinsed beans to the slow cooker or the Instant Pot.
- For the slow cooker: Add in the 3 1/2 cups water and half the seasoning packet. Cover and cook on low for 6-10 hours (depending on your slow cooker and how quickly it cooks). For the Instant Pot: Add the 3 1/2 cups water and half the seasoning packet to the pot. Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual pressure cook button to 15 minutes on high pressure. When the timer beeps indicating the time is up you can do a quick release by moving the valve to “venting.” Open the pot when it allows you to do so.
- If there is excess liquid, drain it off. Add in the rest of the seasoning packet. Add in 1 or 2 cans of tomato sauce, depending on how saucy you like it. Add in the sliced sausage and stir. Salt to taste. Scoop into bowls and serve.
How to quick soak dried beans on the stovetop: Use a colander to rinse the beans. Place the beans in a colander and run cool water over the top of the beans. Discard any dirt or stones. Add the beans to a saucepan. Cover the beans completely with water. Sprinkle in the salt. They will soak up a lot of the water so make sure to get about 2 inches of water over the top of the beans. Bring the beans to a boil over high heat. Let the beans boil for one minute and then remove the pot from the heat. Cover the beans with a lid and let them soak in the hot water for one hour. Use a colander to drain the water off of the beans. Now they are ready to be used in your recipe!
Quick Soak Method in the Instant Pot: First just pour the beans into a colander and rinse them off. Sometimes dried beans have a little dirt and debris in them. Once they have been rinsed you can add the beans to the Instant Pot. Next you’ll cover the beans with water. Now you’ll add in salt. The salty solution is essential to getting the beans the right consistency. Now you’ll bring the pot to a boil by using the the “sauté” function on your Instant Pot. Once the water comes to a boil you will cover the pot with the lid and set the valve to “sealing.” Then you’ll set the manual pressure cooker button to 2 minutes. When the timer beeps you can open the valve very slowly. If foam begins to exit the valve stop releasing the pressure and wait for 30 seconds before you try again. Once the lid is removed go ahead and drain and rinse the beans in a colander under cool running water. Now you can proceed with the recipe that requires pre-soaked beans.