Creamy and cheesy grits served with shrimp and bites of bacon on top. Classic comfort food from the south!
For the grits:
- 1 cup stone ground grits (preferable white corn grits, but yellow works too)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the shrimp:
- 3 slices chopped bacon
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Cook the grits: Add the grits, 3 cups water, milk, salt and butter to an oven safe pan* that fits inside your Instant Pot. Pour 1 ½ cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place the pan on a trivet with handles and lower the trivet into the bottom of your Instant Pot. (See picture above). Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Set valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the pan from the Instant Pot. Stir in the cheddar cheese, Tabasco and pepper. If you’d like to loosen up the grits you can stir in extra milk.
- Cook the shrimp: Dump out the water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Wipe out the pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting (on “more”). Add in the bacon and stir occasionally until crisp about 5 minutes. Toss the shrimp with the flour until they are lightly coated. Then toss the shrimp into the pan with the bacon. Cook until they are pink and heated through. Add in the garlic and stir for 20 seconds. Remove the inner liner from the Instant Pot. Turn off the Instant Pot. Stir in the lemon juice, Tabasco and green onions.
- Serve: Scoop the grits into a bowl and top with some of the shrimp. Enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southern