Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes isn’t like the Salisbury steak TV dinners from when you were a kid. This is a re-imagined version of your favorite old-fashioned comfort food dinner. Bonus–make creamy mashed potatoes at the same time!
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the potatoes (optional)
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in mushrooms, kosher salt, tomato paste and beef broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking.
- In a medium mixing bowl use clean or gloved hands to combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, Montreal steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Form into 12 meatballs and place the meatballs on top of the mushroom mixture in the Instant Pot.
- If desired, you can make mashed potatoes. You’ll need a tall trivet* and a pan* to cook the potatoes in. Peel the potatoes (if desired) and cube them. Place them in your pan. Fill the pan with enough water to cover the potatoes. Place the tall trivet in the pot and then carefully lower the potato pan on top of the trivet.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook time to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Move the valve to venting. If foam starts coming out of the valve move it back to sealing and wait 20 seconds and then try again. Remove the lid.
- Carefully move the potato pan out of the pot. Drain the potatoes and pour the potatoes into a bowl. Mash the potatoes until creamy and then add in the butter and milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Move the meatballs to a platter. Thicken the sauce with a cornstarch slurry. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp of water, until smooth.Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Serve the meatballs and mashed potatoes with the sauce over the top.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 quart pot with no changes. Make in the 3 quart pot with no potatoes.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot