A New England tradition, red flannel hash is made with cooked potatoes, beets and corned beef. Use your Instant Pot to speed up the cooking process.
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 pound fresh beets
- 2 cups chopped cooked corned beef (or pastrami if you’re in a pinch)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and beets.
- Place a trivet inside the Instant Pot and pour 1 cup water inside.
- Place the potatoes and beets on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Let the potatoes and beets cool down a bit until you can handle them.
- Peel the skin off the beets. Cut into cubes. Cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Add butter to a cast iron skillet and melt (see note). Add in the beets, potatoes and corned beef. Lightly toss in the butter. Stir in the cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Move skillet to oven at cook for 40 minutes at 350° F.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet you can use your Instant Pot for steps 6 and 7 of the recipe. Discard the liquid in the Instant Pot and wipe it out. Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté (less) setting. Melt the butter. Add in the potatoes, beets, and corned beef. Cook until one side is browned. Flip and cook the the other side until browned, then turn out on a hot platter and serve.
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven