Dried small red beans are pressure cooked quickly and simmered with cajun sausage, onion, green pepper and cajun seasonings to make a saucy stew to serve over rice. And the rice can be cooked at the same time and in the same pot as the red beans!
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) dried small red beans (adzuki beans not the large kidney beans)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound cajun andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Optional: sour cream
For optional pot in pot rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
- Soak or quick soak: Soak your beans overnight in 4 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt OR perform the quick soak method.
- Quick Soak: Add the beans to your Instant Pot with 4 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil using the saute setting. Once the water is boiling then quickly cover the pressure cooker and and turn valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When time is up slowly move valve to venting. If foam escapes then move valve back to sealing for 20 seconds and try again. Remove the lid.
- Drain and rinse the beans thoroughly.
- Add soaked beans to the Instant Pot. Add in onion, garlic, paprika, cajun seasoning, thyme, celery, pepper, bay leaf, sausage and 3 cups of water.
- Cover your Instant Pot and move valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for up to 20 minutes. Then remove the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Thicken the stew with a cornstarch slurry. Mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of cold water until smooth then stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. The stew will thicken fairly quickly.
- Serve red beans and sausage over rice. We liked ours with a dollop of sour cream on top. To make this less spicy you could use a regular smoked sausage instead of cajun sausage and use half as much smoked paprika.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Cajun