My version of the cheesesteak sandwich–bun, meat, cheese and onions–made in your Instant Pot!
- 2 pounds beef top round roast
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup broth or water
- 4–6 hoagie buns
- 8–12 slices provolone cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. While it is heating up pat the roast dry with paper towels. Then press the salt and pepper all over the meat.
- When the display says HOT add in the oil. Place the roast in the Instant Pot and brown for 3 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown for 3 minutes. Brown 2 more sides for 2 minutes each. Remove the roast and place it on a plate.
- Add the onions into the pot and saute. Scrape the bottom of the pot and let the seasoning get all over the onions. When onions start to turn brown (about 5 minutes) remove them from the Instant Pot and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the broth or water into the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze. Place a trivet into the pot. Place the roast on top of the trivet. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing.
- Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes (YES only 3 minutes!). When the time is up let the pot sit for 30 minutes (YES 30 minutes natural pressure release!).
- Remove the lid and measure the temperature of the middle of the roast. It should be close to 120° F. If the temperature is significantly lower than that place the roast back into the pot and cover. Use the Keep Warm button to continue to slow roast the beef. It will rise 7° to 10° every 5 minutes.
- Place the roast on a cutting board and loosely tent it with foil. Let it rest for 8 minutes. Use a large serrated knife to slice the meat as thin as possible. It will be pink in the middle and that’s okay!
- Dump out the liquid in the Instant Pot and dry it out. Turn the Instant Pot to saute. When it says HOT add in the onions and the beef. Toss for a minute. Then place a few slices of cheese on top of the beef. Let it melt. Then pile the beef, onions and cheese on top of a hoagie roll. Repeat with the rest of the cheese and beef.
- Eat and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef