Make this Instant Pot Penne in Cajun Mustard Cream Sauce for a quick and easy weeknight meal. With options to prepare it with andouille sausage or meatless you can make everyone happy.
- 12 ounces penne rigate pasta, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (for more flavor) or water
- 2–3 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (13 oz) package cajun-style andouille smoked sausage (optional)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Add pasta to the Instant Pot. Pour broth/water over the top, try to cover pasta as much as possible. Sprinkle in 2 tsp of the cajun seasoning and add in the garlic powder. Add in the butter and petite diced tomatoes. If using sausage, slice it into 1/2 inch pieces and add it into the pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting for a quick release (you can also use a natural pressure release).
- Turn the pot to the saute setting and stir in the cream cheese, until it is melted. Turn off the saute setting. Stir in the lemon juice and dijon mustard. Taste and if needed add in another teaspoon of cajun seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Serve and enjoy. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Double check your chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Substitute noodles for GF noodles and decrease cook time by 1 minute.
Recipe inspired by Closet Cooking.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe with sausage
- Calories: 437
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 294 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 18 g
Keywords: pasta, meatless