Sweet, sour and a little spicy! Strips of beef, onions and red bell peppers are served in a sweet and sour sauce. It tastes great served over rice!
- 1 1/2 pounds london broil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster or fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion, cut into thin, half-moon slices
- 1 red pepper pepper, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1–2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- Thinly slice the london broil against the grain into strips or chunks. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the meat.
- In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, cayenne, sugar, ketchup, hoisin, oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce and garlic. Stir the meat into the sauce to coat well. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- While the meat is marinating slice up the onions and peppers.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Spread the onions evenly into bottom of the pot. Dump the meat mixture on top of the onion (don’t stir). Place the red pepper on top.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute on LOW pressure. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Stir together cornstarch and water until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to saute and stir the slurry into the pot to thicken the sauce. Once it’s thickened turn off Instant Pot.
- Serve beef and sauce over rice and enjoy!
The peppers do get a little mushy. If you’d prefer crisper peppers then I would suggest sautéing them or steaming them separately and stirring them in at the same time as the cornstarch slurry.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot