A cheesy hashbrown ground beef soup that is topped with tater tots in the place of croutons.
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2–3 carrots, grated or sliced
- 4 cups frozen hashbrowns
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cup shredded cheddar
- For topping: bacon crumbles and green onions
- Prepare the tater tots according to package directions.
- While tater tots are cooking prepare the soup. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the displays says HOT add in the ground beef and onions. Brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Stir in the garlic powder, salt, basil, thyme and pepper.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the carrots and hashbrowns.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 2 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting.
- In a glass measuring cup whisk together the half and half and the cornstarch until smooth. Stir 1-2 cups of hot broth into mixture to temper. Pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. The soup will thicken up fairly quickly. Once it’s thickened turn off Instant Pot. Stir in the cheese and let melt.
- Ladle into bowls and top each both with a handful of tater tots, a tablespoon of bacon crumbles and a sprinkling of green onions.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot