Pot roast, potatoes, carrots and gravy just like Mom used to make. An easy recipe that tastes like home.
For the roast:
- 2 tsp canola, vegetable or olive oil
- 3 ½ pounds beef chuck roast, cross rib roast or rump roast
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or 4 tsp beef bouillon)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ pounds Russet, yellow or red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ pounds peeled carrots, cut into chunks or baby carrots
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Cut off excess fat and the silver skin from the roast. Some roasts have more fat than others. I always try to pick the roast with less chunks of fat and more marbling.
- (This step is optional but will help the roast be a lot more flavorful) Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Salt and pepper the roast on all sides liberally. Add in the roast and brown it on each side for about 5 minutes. Remove the roast and deglaze the pot with the water.
- Add in the Better than Bouillon and stir to dissolve. Turn off the saute setting. Add in the roast. Season it with the onion powder, parsley, celery seed, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 60 minutes (for a 3 inch thick roast). If your roast is thicker add 20 minute for each additional inch.
- (If you want to add vegetables you will use a quick release initially, if not adding vegetables use a natural pressure release.) Once the time is up move the valve to venting to quickly release the pressure. Remove the lid. Turn the roast over. Add the potatoes and carrots on top. Replace the lid, move valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for as long as you can (I did 30 minutes). This is an important step. If you quick release the roast it won’t be tender. Remove the lid.
- Scoop the potatoes, carrots and roast onto a platter and let rest. While the meat is resting make a gravy. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl whisk the melted butter and flour together until completely smooth. Stir a cup of the liquid from the Instant Pot into the butter and flour. Whisk until smooth and then stir the whole mixture into the Instant Pot. Whisk until the gravy thickens. Salt and pepper the gravy to taste.
- Slice or shred the roast. Serve the roast, potatoes and carrots with gravy over the top.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American