Fall apart tender pork is cooked in your pressure cooker and then a few extra ingredients are added to give the meat a southwestern flare. This pork is perfect for tacos, salads, nachos and burritos!
- 1 large onion, cut into large slices
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water with chicken bouillon)
- 4–5 lbs pork carnitas meat or pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomato with jalapenos
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- Place onions in bottom of Instant Pot. Pour in the broth. Place pork on top of the onions. Cover the pot and make sure the valve is on “sealing.” Press the manual button and set the timer to 70 minutes. Once the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for up to 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and place the meat on a cutting board. Throw away the onions and any liquid in the pot. Shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic salt, pepper and oregano. Stir until meat is coated evenly. Season to taste with extra salt and pepper. If you want it very saucy you can add in a can of tomato sauce.
- Serve meat in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salads, sandwiches etc.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! Just check the broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican