The easiest and tastiest rice ever! Brown rice is cooked in flavorful salsa with garlic salt, a bay leaf and cumin. Canned black beans make this recipe very convenient. And my favorite part is a squeeze of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream on top. Make this as a meal or as a side dish.
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup picante sauce or salsa (plus more, if needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sliced avocado
- Place rinsed beans, rice, water, salsa, bay leaf, cumin, and garlic salt in the Instant Pot.
- Cover and make sure valve is on “sealing.” Press the manual button and set to 22 minutes.
- When the pot beeps let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then release any additional pressure. Stir a bit and discard the bay leaf. Add in lime juice and additional salsa to brighten it up, if needed. Scoop into bowls and top with desired toppings.
If you wanted you could make this recipe with long grain white rice. Use 3/4 cup white rice and 1 1/4 cup water. Then use a 5 minute pressure cook time with a 10 minute natural pressure release. For other types of rice see the green chart.
To make with chicken: Reduce the amount of liquid to 1 cup if using frozen chicken or 1.25 cups if using fresh chicken. Place 1 pound of chicken boneless skinless breasts/thighs on top of all the ingredients. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. The chicken will cook along with your rice. If you want to use white rice instead of brown rice then cut up the chicken into bite size pieces or use chicken tenderloins.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Sodium: 347 mg
- Fat: 1.2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44.4 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 9.9 grams