The easiest and tastiest rice ever! Brown rice is cooked in flavorful salsa with garlic salt, a bay leaf and cumin. Canned black beans make this recipe very convenient. And my favorite part is a squeeze of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream on top. Make this as a meal or as a side dish.
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup picante sauce (plus more, if needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sliced avocado
- Place rinsed beans, rice, water, salsa, bay leaf, cumin, and garlic salt in the Instant Pot.
- Cover and make sure valve is on “sealing.” Press the manual button and set to 22 minutes.
- When the pot beeps let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then release any additional pressure. Stir a bit and discard the bay leaf. Add in lime juice and additional salsa to brighten it up, if needed. Scoop into bowls and top with desired toppings.
If you wanted you could make this recipe with long grain white rice. Use 3/4 cup white rice and 1 1/4 cup water. Then use a 5 minute pressure cook time with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Sodium: 347 mg
- Fat: 1.2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44.4 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 9.9 grams