A super simplified version of Julia Child’s famous recipe with beef, carrots, onions and mushrooms made in the Instant Pot.
- 3 pieces of thick cut bacon or 6 slices of regular cut bacon
- 3 pounds rump roast or chuck roast, cut into 1–2 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
- 18 small pearl onions (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups beef broth (or 1 1/2 cups red wine + 1 1/2 cups beef broth)
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 crumbled bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. While it’s heating up cut the bacon into quarter inch pieces with kitchen shears*. Add the bacon pieces into the pot and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and lay on a paper towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle the kosher salt and pepper on the meat. Use tongs to place the pieces of meat into the pot in one layer. You’ll need to work in batches. Brown the meat on all sides in the bacon grease. Move the meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms and pearl onions into the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes. Move the vegetables to a plate.
- Pour the broth/wine into the pot and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add the meat back into the pot. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and parsley.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes. When time is up use a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Add the sautéed vegetables into the pot. Cover pot and secure the lid. Set valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for at least 10-15 minutes or a full natural pressure release. Remove the lid.
- In a small bowl stir together the melted butter and the flour until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Stir the flour mixture into the pot and let it thicken for about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and bacon. Season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot