Italian sausage with rice and spinach in a delicious broth.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground or links of Italian sausage (if you use links slice them into half inch rounds)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water and 6 tsp Better than Bouillon chicken base)
- 3/4 cup uncooked converted or long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces coarsely chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream, warmed
- Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting and adjust to “more.” Add in the oil. Let the pot heat up for a couple of minutes. Add in the sausage and brown for about 5 minutes. Add in the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add in the thyme.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so nothing is sticking. Add in the rice.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 1 minute.
- While the pot is coming to pressure chop your spinach and warm up your dairy (I just stuck mine in the microwave for 30 seconds).
- When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, move the valve to venting. Once you can, remove the lid.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, spinach and half and half. Salt and pepper the soup to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker