A beefy chili is ladled over fry bread and topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and all your favorite taco fixings.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can ranch style beans/chili beans (whole can, no draining)
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, grated cheddar, sour cream, salsa, guacamole
For easy fry bread (or you can make it from scratch, see note below)
- 12 Rhodes rolls (frozen bread dough rolls), cold to touch
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Add in garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Dump the beans and tomato paste on top of the meat, don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Squish two of the rolls together and roll out to make a thin, oval shape. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large frying pan. When the oil reaches 375° F place the dough in the oil and fry on each side for 20 seconds. Remove with tongs and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with all the dough.
- To serve place a piece of fry bread on a plate and top with the chili mixture and then top with desired toppings. Eat and enjoy!
To make in the slow cooker: Brown the ground beef on the stove over medium high heat with the onions, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Add to the slow cooker. Stir in the broth, tomato paste and beans. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir. Follow steps 4 and 5 above.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make fry bread from scratch: You’ll need 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup hot water and some oil for frying. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 6 inch circle. In a pan over medium high heat, heat 1 inch of vegetable or canola oil to 375°. Fry bread in hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot