A tex mex casserole that makes enough for 2 pans…one for now and one to freeze for later. With a few pantry friendly ingredients and a couple fresh items you can make this for dinner tonight.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/3 cups long grain white rice or converted rice (or 1 1/2 cups brown rice)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (16 oz) can ranch style beans with jalapenos
- 1 (10 oz) can mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream and salsa, for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and onion. Use a spoon to break up the meat. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off sauté setting.
- Sprinkle in the rice. Add in the tomato paste, beans and enchilada sauce, don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes for white rice or 25 minutes for brown rice. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Spread the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Alternately, you can just sprinkle the cheese into the pot and let it melt on the “keep warm” setting.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes and cilantro on top and serve topped with sour cream and salsa. This makes a good filling for tortillas or with Fritos or tortilla chips.
Freezing instructions: This recipe makes a good freezer meal for later. You can eat half now and save half for later in a square baking dish. Spread the cooked mixture into a baking dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then foil. Label and freeze. When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove the plastic wrap and foil and replace the foil. Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle cheese on top and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve topped with tomatoes and cilantro.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot