Your childhood favorite pork n’ beans made at home in your Instant Pot with dried beans and lots of crispy bacon and just a couple other pantry staples.
- 12 oz of dried pinto or navy beans (this is about 2 cups of dried beans)
- 1 Tbsp salt (for soaking)
- 2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- ½ tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces of crispy cooked bacon, cut into quarter inch pieces
- Pour the beans into a mixing bowl and fill will lots of water. Add in 1 Tbsp of salt. Soak the beans for 8-12 hours (see note below).
- Pour the beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly. Discard the soaking water.
- Pour the beans into your Instant Pot liner. Pour 4 cups of water into the Instant Pot liner.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes for pinto beans and 30 minutes for navy beans. When the time is up let the pot release the pressure naturally for 10-20 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Drain off any excess water.
- Add in 2 cans of tomato sauce, Dijon mustard, molasses, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir. Add in the bacon and gently stir.
- Serve immediately or turn the Instant Pot to warm and serve at your leisure. The beans will stay good on warm for up to 3 hours.
If you don’t have time to soak the beans you can cook the beans without soaking. I always soak my beans because I don’t want to deal with tummy issues. For no soak beans add 20 extra minutes to the cooking times I mentioned above. If you want you can also use the “quick soak method” which will allow you most of the benefits of soaking but in a fraction of the time.
How to Quick Soak: Add the beans to your Instant Pot with 4 cups of water and 1 Tbsp of salt. Bring to a boil using the saute setting. Once the water is boiling then quickly cover the pressure cooker and and turn valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When time is up slowly move valve to venting. If foam escapes then move valve back to sealing for 20 seconds and try again. Remove the lid. Then rinse and drain the beans and use them in the recipe.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant pot
- Cuisine: American