This throwback recipe is super kid friendly. The bonus is that you make the chicken, sauce and rice all at the same time in your Instant Pot. Prepare all the toppings while the chicken is cooking. A perfect weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 tsp better than bouillon chicken base
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into bite size pieces (you can also used chicken breasts)
- 1 (13.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup (or you can make your own, this is the recipe that I use)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Topping ideas: tomatoes, peppers, mandarin oranges, chow mein noodles, celery, olives, shredded coconut, pineapple chunks, cashews, green onions, grated cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- Stir the better than bouillon and 1/2 cup water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Then scoop the cream of chicken on top of the chicken. Try not to let it touch the bottom of the pot.
- Pour the rice and water into an oven safe bowl that will fit inside your Instant Pot. I used this stainless steel pan*. Place the dish on top of the trivet. Slowly lower the trivet* into the bottom of the Instant Pot on top of the chicken.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” When the timer goes off gently move the valve to venting. If it starts to foam then put the valve back to sealing for 20 seconds and then try again until it doesn’t foam. Mine didn’t foam but sometimes grains do foam a bit.
- While the chicken and rice is cooking, prepare the toppings that you’d like by chopping and dicing them up. We put ours in little bowls or ramekins.
- Once you can, remove the lid and use oven mitts to carefully lift the trivet and rice bowl out of the pot. The bottom of the bowl will be dirty from sitting on the chicken and rice. Place it on top of a plate to prevent the counter from getting dirty.
- Stir the sour cream into the chicken and sauce. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop some rice into a bowl and then top with the chicken and gravy. Top with desired toppings to make a visually pleasing and tasty dinner!
I used a 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
- Method: Instant Pot