An easy soup recipe with tons of flavor and only a handful of ingredients! (Can be low carb too).
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 cup green salsa (I used mild Herdez salsa verde)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Optional: 1 can of corn, cornstarch, tortilla chips, grated cheese
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add in the olive oil and swirl around. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Turn off saute setting.
- Add in the chicken, green chilies and salsa.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 15 minutes if using frozen chicken and 12 minutes if chicken is fresh. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Turn to saute setting. Add in the cream cheese and lime juice. Chop or shred the chicken. Add in corn, if desired. If you want to thicken your soup make a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Once cream cheese is melted and incorporated turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve soup with tortilla chips and cheese, if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add onions, garlic, green chilies, chicken, salsa and broth into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add in the cream cheese. Chop or shred the chicken. Add in corn, if desired. If you want to thicken your soup make a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the slow cooker and turn to high. Cook without the lid for 15 minutes.
- Once cream cheese is melted and incorporated serve soup with tortilla chips and cheese, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker