An ultra chocolatey, moist chocolate cake with a pecan-coconut topping and slathered with a chocolate cream cheese frosting. Basically heaven in your mouth.
For the cake batter:
- ½ of one 15.25 oz devils food cake mix (7.8 oz or 1 ⅔ cups of the dry mix)
- ½ of one 4 oz quick chocolate pudding mix (2 oz or ⅓ cup of the dry pudding mix)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 6 Tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp chocolate extract* or vanilla extract
For the coconut-pecan topping:
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream or half and half
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp white sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 6 Tbsp chopped pecans
For the chocolate frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Prepare a half size 6 cup bundt cake pan* by spraying it well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake: Add the oil, 6 Tbsp water, eggs, sour cream and chocolate extract into a medium size bowl and mix until blended well. Add in the cake mix, pudding mix, cocoa powder and sugar. Mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed or until blended well. Turn beater on high for about 1 minute. Pour the cake batter into the prepare bundt cake pan and cover it with foil. Place the pan on top of a trivet and then lower the pan into the Instant Pot. Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 32 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Remove the cake pan from the Instant Pot. Remove the foil and place a plate on top of the cake pan. Invert the plate and the cake pan so that the cake comes out on top of the plate.
- Prepare pecan coconut topping: Dump the water out of the bottom of the Instant Pot and wipe it out. Then add the cream, egg yolks, and vanilla into the Instant Pot and whisk. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Whisk in the sugar and butter and cook 5 minutes until mixture is thickened and starts to turn a golden color. Remove Instant Pot insert from the heat and then stir in the coconut and nuts. Set aside.
- Prepare the chocolate frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat on low until smooth. Add vanilla and pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Top and frost the cake: Use a spoon to scoop the pecan topping over the top of the cake. Then frost the cake with the chocolate frosting. I slathered the chocolate frosting over the entire cake but you could also get fancy with a pastry bag. Eat and enjoy!
To make I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart pot. The 3 quart mini won’t work for this recipe because it is too small to fit the cake pan. However you can try the original version in the oven.
I used a bundt cake pan* for this recipe. I have not tried it with a regular cake pan. I like the bundt cake pan because the air can circulate freely through the middle of the cake which leads to a more evenly baked cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American