Scrumptious bacon cheeseburger filling is rolled up in dough and baked. It’s fun to make and eat!
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 5 slices bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ cup diced dill pickles
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Make the dough by adding honey and water into your mixer. Sprinkle in the yeast and let it foam up for a couple of minutes. Add in the olive oil, kosher salt, and a cup of flour. Mix. Then gradually add in the rest of the flour and mix. Once the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl you are done mixing. You may need to add a few extra tablespoons of flour to get it to that point.
- Spray the liner of your Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray. Form the dough into a ball and place it into the Instant Pot. Press the yogurt button on your Instant Pot and adjust until it is on LESS setting which will read 24:00 on the display. Cover the Instant Pot with a plate or towel and let the dough raise for 30 minutes.
- While dough is raising prepare your filling. Heat a pan over medium high heat (you can also use the sauté setting of your Instant Pot after dough is done). Add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions and brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Turn off heat.
- Season with the Montreal steak seasoning. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, bacon and pickles. Set aside.
- Once dough has risen for 30 minutes, punch it down. Place the dough on a floured countertop or on a silpat* that fits inside a rimmed baking sheet. Roll the dough into a large rectangle (about 11 inches by 14 inches). Place the dough carefully onto a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper (or simply lift the silpat onto the rimmed baking sheet).
- Spoon the meat mixture over the dough leaving a 1 inch border along all sides.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Fold over the three of the sides 1 inch. Leave one of the long sides unfolded. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg over all four sides.
- Start rolling the dough (like cinnamon rolls) from the unfolded side. It’s easiest if you lift up the parchment or silpat to help you roll it.
- Pinch the seam. Position seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Brush the entire loaf with the egg wash (it will give it a nice, brown color). Then use a small knife to make about 6 diagonal slits for venting.
- Bake at 500° F for 8-10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375° F and bake for 10-12 minute longer.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and then use a serrated bread knife to slice into 2 inch pieces.
- Serve with fry sauce for dipping, if desired.
If you don’t have a yogurt button on your Instant Pot then you will place dough in a bowl and let raise on the counter for 1 hour.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven