Caramelized onions with a flavorful sauce surrounds chicken that is topped with melty Swiss cheese.
- 4 medium yellow onions, cut into quarter inch slices
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon Better than Bouillon beef base
- 1 3/4 pound to 2 pounds of fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large slices of Swiss cheese (break each one in half)
- Optional: 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute (more) setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around to melt. Add in the onions, baking soda, 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper. Stir the onions every so often for about 4 minutes. Onions will start to turn yellow and release some moisture. Turn off the Instant Pot. Stir the beef base into the pot (no water, just the base).
- Pound the chicken breasts to ½ inch thick. Season the chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, thyme, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Lay them in a single layer on top of the onions.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place the chicken in a baking dish. Use a slotted spoon to move the onions on top of the chicken.
- If desired, thicken the sauce in the Instant Pot by making a cornstarch slurry.
- In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Turn on your oven’s broiler. Place the slices of Swiss cheese over the top of the chicken. Place the pan of chicken under the broiler for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve the chicken with sauce drizzled over the top. For more of a French onion soup flare serve the chicken over a piece of Texas toast.
No liquid? Yes you read the recipe correctly! The onions and chicken put off so much liquid that you don’t need any extra liquid. My pot took 6 minutes to come to pressure.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot