This fun spin on taco salad is made quickly even with frozen meat straight from your freezer. Use your Instant Pot to cook the seasoned meat quickly. Layer everything on a sheet pan and dig in for a delicious, healthy, family-friendly dinner.
For the meat:
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey (frozen)
- 1 package taco seasoning OR the following spices
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black, pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
For the salad:
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, washed and dried and cut into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced olives
- 1 or 2 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 6 Tbsp salsa
- 1 (10 oz bag) nacho cheese Doritos
- Add meat ingredients to the pot: Add broth to the Instant Pot. Toss in the frozen meat. Sprinkle the meat with the taco seasoning/seasonings. Dump the Rotel and beans on top of the meat.
- Cook the meat: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual/pressure cook button to 9 minutes on high pressure. While the meat is cooking, prepare your salad ingredients. When the 9 minutes is up and the timer beeps you can perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Brown up the meat: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon. The middle of the meat will probably still be a little raw. Cook the meat for a few minutes until it is done all the way through. Let the liquid cook off of the meat.
- Make your salad: On a sheet pan layer your salad ingredients. Start with the romaine lettuce and then sprinkle evenly with bell pepper, olives, tomatoes, cheese, green onions. Use a spoon to evenly dollop the sour cream and salsa on top of the salad. Sprinkle with the meat mixture and the doritos.
- Serve. Use tongs to serve your salad. If there are leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge, although the Doritos will be soggy.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (93% lean beef)
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 612 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Protein: 25 g