- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 16 baby carrots
- 12 baby red potatoes, quartered or cubed
- ½ small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 bell pepper (your choice of color), cored and sliced
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 (12 oz) package fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into quarter inch rounds
- Add 1 cup of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place trivet in your pot.
- On a 25 inch piece of foil add onions, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, pepper, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and butter. Toss so that all the vegetables are seasoned. Toss in the sliced sausage.
- Bring up edges of foil and crimp together to make a foil packet. Use 2 more layers of foil to ensure packet is sealed. Form the packet so that it will fit inside your Instant Pot. Place packet on top of trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and make sure it is sealed. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and with hot pads place the packet on a tray. Carefully open the packet and scoop contents onto plates. Serve and enjoy! Salt and pepper to taste.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart pot. Add 1.5 cups water into bottom of the pot.
Instead of making one huge foil packet you can make 4 smaller packets with each individual making their own packet with their own favorite ingredients. Potatoes and carrots take the longest to cook so cooking will take less time when they are chopped or cut into smaller pieces.
There are many different types of sausage you can use. I like andouille sausage, beef smoked sausage, turkey smoked sausage, kielbasa and Hillshire Farm Garlic Smoked Chicken Sausage. You can also use uncooked sausage, if you prefer. Just brown it before adding it into the packet.
To make without foil: Use the pot-in-pot method. Pour 1 cup water into Instant Pot. In a large dish that fits inside your Instant Pot add all the ingredients and toss well. I use this 3 quart dish* inside my 6 quart Instant Pot. Place dish on top of trivet and lower into the pot. Pressure cook for 20 minutes.
To make on the grill: Grill covered over medium heat for 30 minutes. Turn packet over. Grill for another 30 minutes.
To make in the slow cooker: Add 1 cup of water to slow cooker. Place a trivet or rack in bottom of slow cooker. Place packet on top of rack. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
To make over the campfire: Build your fire and give it time to turn into hot coals. The foil needs to form a tight seal. If you are unable to roll the edges down at least two folds, remove some of the food and re-seal. If any holes or tears form in the foil, start over with a fresh sheet. Spread your hot coals out evenly and place the optional cooking grate over the coals. You may also cook directly on the coals if you do not have a cooking grate. Using the grilling gloves, gently place the foil packet over the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes, gently turn and then cook for 20-30 more minutes. The foil packets should swell as steam forms inside, cooking the contents evenly. Using the grilling gloves, carefully remove the packet and open the foil.
To make in the oven: Heat oven to 375°F. Bake for 60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Method: Instant Pot