The tastiest garlic sesame sauce coats ground beef (or ground chicken or turkey) and is tossed together with cabbage and fried wontons. This recipe is inspired by chinese egg rolls but it’s given a fresher spin.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (you can also use ground turkey, pork or chicken)
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- ½ cup uncooked long grain white rice or ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp ground red pepper
- 1 (13 oz) bag Asian salad kit (see note)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef. Break it up and brown it for about 5 minutes.
- While the beef is browning combine soy sauce, honey, ketchup, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and red pepper together in a bowl and whisk.
- Deglaze the pot with the broth and add in the rice. Then pour in the soy sauce mixture.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Stir the mixture.
- Open the salad kit and toss it into a bowl. I didn’t use the dressing that came with mine because the meat was so flavorful. Toss the meat into the salad. Toss in the green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can find an Asian chopped salad kit in the produce section of the grocery store. I’ve seen them at Costco before. This time I used the Dole brand from Winco but there are lots of different brands. They contain a cabbage mix with some carrots and then a packet of fried wontons (and various other ingredients depending on the brand). If you prefer you can make your own salad mix with cabbage, shredded carrots and snap peas. Then you can fry your own wontons.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian