A homemade chocolate bundt cake with coconut, pecans and cream cheese.
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla, divided
- 1 tsp chocolate extract* (optional but good)
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (mini chocolate chips work well)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Stir together the boiling water and cocoa and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, salt, baking soda and eggs. Add in the sour cream, oil, 1 tsp of vanilla and chocolate extract. Stir well. Stir in the flour. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray the bundt cake pan well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle half of the pecans and half of the coconut into the bottom of the pan. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the pecans and coconut on top of the batter. Pour the rest of the batter into the pan.
- With an electric mixer combine the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla until smooth. Drop dollops of the cream cheese mixture over the cake, do not mix.
- Cover the pan with foil. Place it on the trivet/sling.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into bottom of Instant Pot. Lower the sling with the pan on top into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 35 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and use hot pads to carefully remove the trivet and cake. Let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and gently turn over onto a plate. Slice and serve.
Make in the 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot.
I haven’t tried this in a regular cake pan yet, but I’m assuming it would work fine in a 7 x 3 inch cake pan*.
This cake does not require a glaze or frosting as the cream cheese filling acts as the frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot