A simple but delicious fiver layer casserole recipe that’s cooked in the Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 small/medium russet potatoes (about 11 ounces), thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch) into rounds
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced and rings separated
- 1 (15 oz) can diced, stewed or crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Brown the beef: You can do this step on the stove in a pan or in the Instant Pot. Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up*. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is any excess grease drain it off. Clean out your Instant Pot.
- Lay the potatoes in an oven safe pan for pot-in-pot cooking (I use a 3 quart IP liner inside the 6 quart IP liner for pot in pot cooking*). Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper (don’t be shy, potatoes love salt).
- Add beef on top of potatoes.
- Add the onions on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the onions with salt and pepper.
- Dump the tomatoes on top of the onions. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Layer the green bell peppers on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the peppers with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with foil. Set the pan on top of a trivet/sling.
- Dump 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 40 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Remove the foil. Scoop contents of pan onto plates and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot