A warm and cozy meal of cube steaks and gravy. Make it in your Instant Pot or your Crockpot.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1–2 pounds of cube steaks
- 1 pouch of onion soup mix
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional–potatoes (to make mashed potatoes)
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and the onions. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the water and scrape bottom of pot so nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Press the onion soup mix all over the cubed steaks. Place the steaks into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for at least 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water and until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot and let the gravy thicken for a minute or so. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Season to taste.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Serve cubed steaks with gravy over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add onions, water into slow cooker.
- Press the onion soup mix all over the cubed steaks. Place the steaks into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until steaks are tender.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water and until smooth. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Season to taste. Let the cornstarch thicken the gravy for about 10-20 minutes.
- Serve cubed steaks with gravy over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
If you’d like you can cook potatoes for mashed potatoes at the same time. Place a tall trivet in the pot around the cubed steaks. Place potatoes on top of the trivet. I used medium red potatoes. If you’re using large potatoes cut them into halves so they can cook through. After the cooking time is up move the potatoes to a bowl and mash. Stir in butter, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker