Pork is cooked until tender in your Instant Pot with onion, garlic, jalapeno, and lots of spices. Then the pork is crisped up under the oven broiler to create maximum flavor and texture for tacos, salads, burritos, nachos and enchiladas.
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 lbs to 3 lbs of pork (I used “carnitas meat” from Winco which is amazing. It is a bag of pork blade meat. You can also use trimmed pork butt, shoulder or picnic roast.)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place quartered onion in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Add in the bay leaves. Add in the pork, garlic and jalapeno. Sprinkle the pork with the salt, pepper, oregano and cumin.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Press the manual button (high pressure) and set the timer to 70 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally. It will take several minutes.
- Remove the lid and shred the meat on a cutting board. Reserve the juices in the Instant Pot.
- Turn your oven to broil. Place the meat in a foil-lined pan (I used a cookie sheet with and edge). Spread the meat out so it isn’t piled on top of each other. Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Pour about 1/4 cup of the juices from the Instant Pot over the meat and place in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until meat comes to your desired crispiness. I ended up putting them in the oven for a total of 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the meat. Toss the meat with the lime juice and any extra juices you’d like from the Instant Pot. Serve the meat in any mexican meal you’d like, salads, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas etc.
I used this Instant Pot.
Click here for the slow cooker version.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! Just check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten
- Method: Instant Pot