A creamy tomato soup with tender chunks of chicken, pasta, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. All the flavors from chicken parmesan in a bowl!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds uncooked chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 ¼ cups dry cavatappi pasta (or similar pasta)
- 1 cup half and half, warm
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Optional: a buttered baguette or garlic toast for dipping
- Saute: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it has melted. Add in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add ingredients: Add in the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and pasta (see note).
- Pressure cook: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 2 minutes (see note). If you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Serve: Stir in the warm half and half, parmesan and mozzarella. Ladle into bowls and serve with a toasted baguette or garlic toast.
Pasta: the pasta will get more and more bloated as the soup sits. If there are leftovers it will suck up all the liquid. If this bothers you then you can cook the pasta until al dente on the stove top and then add a little pasta into each bowl of soup and store it separately in the refrigerator for the leftovers.
Cooking time: you may be thinking why does pasta and chicken only need a 2 minute cooking time? Will my chicken be cooked? The entire time the pot is building pressure (about 10 minutes) the chunks of chicken will be cooking. Because they are small pieces they cook very quickly. If you’re ever worried about the doneness of meats in the pressure cooker use a instant read thermometer to check the temperature.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: make gluten free pasta on the stove top according to package directions. Check the label of your broth. Forego the bread to serve with it.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot