A creamy tomato soup with tender chunks of chicken, pasta, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. All the flavors from chicken parmesan in a bowl!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (or a combination)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 ounces ditalini pasta (or another pasta of your choice)
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Croutons, for serving
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it has melted. Add in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 12 minutes. (If you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button.) When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Add in the ditalini pasta and let it simmer in the liquid for about 8 minutes, or until cooked through. Stir every minute or so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Turn off saute setting.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add it into the pot.
- Stir a couple cups of the hot soup into the warmed half and half to prevent it from separating. Add the mixture into the pot and stir. Stir in the parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with croutons and extra cheese, if desired.
Pasta: the pasta will get more and more bloated as the soup sits. If there are leftovers it will suck up all the liquid. If this bothers you then you can cook the pasta until al dente on the stove top and then add a little pasta into each bowl of soup and store it separately in the refrigerator for the leftovers.
To make gluten free: make gluten free pasta on the stove top according to package directions and stir a portion into each bowl. Do not serve with croutons.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot