Cooked tart granny smith apples in a brown sugar, butter and cinnamon sauce. A perfect treat that is healthier than a typical dessert.
Equipment needed: steamer basket*
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 large granny smith apples (mine were huge! you can use 4–5 small apples instead)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Add water into Instant Pot. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting so that the water starts heating up.
- Peel the apples and slice them into thick slices (if the apples are too thin they’ll get mushy).
- Add the apples into a steamer basket.
- Turn off Instant Pot (the water should be boiling by now).
- Lower the apples into the Instant Pot. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to zero minutes. When time is up move valve back and forth from venting to sealing in a controlled release until all pressure is released. Remove the lid.
- Move the steamer basket out of the Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add the butter, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into the Instant Pot with the water. Stir well and let the butter melt.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with a tablespoon of water, stir until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry into the Instant Pot and let it thicken the sauce.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Toss the apples into the sauce until coated. Taste apples and make sure they are sweet enough. If your apples are overly tart you may want to add 1-2 Tbsp extra of brown sugar.
- Serve apples and enjoy! These apples taste great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot