A super easy (and delicious) method for making corned beef! Tender corned beef is sliced and served alongside carrots and potatoes (and if you want, cabbage). Top your corned beef with a tangy sauce made of sour cream, dijon mustard and garlic. A perfect dinner for St Patrick’s Day (or any other day).
For the corned beef:
- 2–4 pounds of corned beef brisket (mine was 2.75 pounds), with seasoning
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef broth (or 4 cups water with 4 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base)
For the vegetables:
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into wedges (optional)
For the mustard sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Open the package of corned beef. Most of the time they’ll either have seasonings on top of them or they will come with a seasoning packet. Place the meat in the instant pot and pour seasonings over the top. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Put bay leaves in bottom of the pot and then pour in the beef broth.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is on sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 90 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Move the meat to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
- Add carrots and potatoes to the broth in the pot. If desired add in cabbage. Put the lid on the pot and seal the valve. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1-3 minutes (3 minutes produced mashable carrots and potatoes, next time I’ll cook for only 1 minute). When timer is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Arrange the vegetables around the meat on the platter.
- Prepare the mustard sauce by whisking together the sour cream, mustard, sugar, garlic and salt.
- Serve mustard sauce with the corned beef and vegetables. Enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/6 of 2.75 lb brisket and 1 potato, 1 carrot and 1/6 of cabbage head
- Calories: 599
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 2111 mg
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Protein: 35 g