The perfect summer salad for all picnics, potlucks and barbecues–wheat berries with a lime dressing, black beans, avocados, grape tomatoes, red peppers, jicama, red onion and cilantro. It’s got the crunch, the chewiness and the bright flavors all in one salad.
FOR THE WHEAT BERRIES:
- 1 cup wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed jicama
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the wheat berries. Place wheat berries, water, and salt into Instant Pot. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes on high pressure. When time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Pour the wheat into a sieve and run cold water over it. Set aside.
- Toss it together. Combine the avocados, jicama, onion, bell pepper, wheat berries (cooked previously), black beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before serving.
I used soft white wheat berries. But it doesn’t matter too much on which wheat you use. Check the bulk section of your grocery store for wheat berries.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the salad
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: salad, potluck, picnic, meatless