A thick and creamy chowder with bacon, corn, potatoes, celery and minced clams. Make it fast in your electric pressure cooker!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium russet or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup crumbled bacon (I just used the packaged kind of real bacon bits)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into quarter inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until onions soften.
- Add in the water, potatoes, clams with the juice, corn, bacon and celery.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. Once time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes (the display with read L0:05). Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Warm up the milk and half and half in the microwave or on the stove. It should be warm. Stir in the melted butter. Then very slowly whisk in the flour a tablespoon at a time. It should be lump free. Then stir this mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. The milk/flour mixture will thicken the chowder in a few minutes. Stir constantly (for about 3 minutes) so that the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Taste the chowder and then add salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
I used yellow potatoes and didn’t peel them.
To make gluten free: Omit the flour and replace with a cornstarch/water mixture to thicken. Combine well before adding to soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 794 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 16 g
Keywords: soup, chowder